(with thanks to KevQ for his excellent Comment Guidelines that I have modified or cribbed in some way)
The purpose of the comments section on this site is to give you the opportunity to comment on the post that I have released. The comments section is not a space for you to advertise your company or service. However, posting links is fine as long as they add context to your comment, or have relevance to the post.
In posting a comment, your post will be submitted into a moderation queue and will not be visible until I either approve it, spam it or delete it entirely. Therefore, it behooves you to do the following:
- Read the full post: I don’t really end up writing 2,500 word dissertations, so this is the least you can do.
- Add something of value: Honestly, I don’t mind short and succinct comments, you can say a lot with only a few words. Things like “same” or “yeah, me too” are not really great comments and don’t really add anything of value. If you’re taking the time to comment, add something that is worth writing.
- Free Speech: This is not your personal message board. This is mine. I dictate the rules, I get to say what stays and what goes. I’m a pretty tolerant guy. Even if you disagree, I’m more likely to keep your comment if you’re civil and not abusive. If you want to start your own blog and rant and rave there, by all means.
- No Spam: Advertise somewhere else.
- Keep it concise: As much as I enjoy reading comments. Please keep them short enough that I can get through them in a few minutes. I’m not your professor, asking for 500 words on my work.
Every post is held for moderation. No exceptions. I will review them and decide if your post makes the cut. If you’ve followed some of the advice above, you’re probably going to make it. Don’t freak out if you don’t see your post after an hour or so. I don’t have time to be checking for comments 24/7.